West Ottawa students, in partnership with Hope College and Children’s Miracle Network, are raising money for Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital and the families it serves.
Dance Marathon is a nationwide movement involving college and high school students at more than 300 schools. The entirely student-run program donates 100% of the funds they raise to the CMN hospital in their community. Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital is West Michigan’s local CMN hospital. All funds raised go back to help the patients and families right here in West Michigan. Students spend a year learning invaluable leadership and life skills by raising funds in a variety of ways, interacting with Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital’s patients and families. The year culminates with a 6 hour event where students stay on their feet through dancing, games and entertainment in symbolic support of children.
This year’s marathon is taking place in the High School North Building from 4-10 pm on Friday February 28th, 2020. Our goal is to raise $32,020 for the kids (to go with our theme of the Roaring 20s). West Ottawa’s record is over $30,000 totaling more than $150,000 raised in the last seven years.
Students can join the marathon by signing up at bit.ly/WODM2020. Donations can be made at that website as well or on students’ individual Donor Drive page.
Where your donation goes:
- $10 provides a gas card for families having to travel across the state or country to treat their child.
- $25 provides craft supplies to distract a child undergoing scary and painful treatments
- $50 pays for a night’s stay for distant families staying at the Hospital’s Renucci House
- $200 pays for a child’s cast for a broken arm
- $500 buys a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff to make sure the kids are staying healthy!
- $750 pays for the anesthesia a child needs for one of his or her surgeries.
- $1,000 pays for a vial of Erbitux, a drug used in chemotherapy for a child’s head, neck, and colorectal cancer.
- $1,500 provides half a days’ stay at the hospital for routine surgery and about a third of the cost for a day’s stay in the NICU.
- $2,000 provides a NICU crib for tired and weak, 1lb babies fighting with their doctors and nurses to survive.
Beads for bracelets
Sandwich size Ziploc bags
Checks may be made payable to West Ottawa Public Schools. Any questions can be directed to Bethany Willcock at firstname.lastname@example.org in the High School North building, A261.