West Ottawa’s 7th Dance Marathon a success raising over $28,500 for Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital
West Ottawa students, in partnership with Hope College and Children’s Miracle Network, raised money for Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital and the families it serves.
Dance Marathon is a 6 hour long fundraiser at the high school one per year one week before Hope College’s marathon. This year, the Maraton featured a teacher segment about the impact DeVos had in their lives as well as visits from four other West Ottawa families who have been supported. Additionally, for our Hawaiian themed event, we had a lesson in hula dancing, performances by WO Vocalaires, WO Dance Team, student groups previewing for WO Stock, and more. Mini fundraisers included pie in the face for our principals and a few Hudsonville Ice Creams to the face in addition to a 5$ in 5 minutes and other mini pushes. Near the end of the night, we were still thousands of dollars off from our goal of $27,500, so we broke the rules, sat down, and pushed one last time to family, friends, and even strangers to make great things happen. This was successful with our reveal total at $28,491.90 with more coming in. This brings our total to an incredible $145,444.23 raised is only 7 years.
This donation goes to:
- $10 provides a gas card for families having to travel across the state or country to treat their child.
- $25 provides craft supplies to distract a child undergoing scary and painful treatments
- $50 pays for a night’s stay for distant families staying at the Hospital’s Renucci House
- $200 pays for a child’s cast for a broken arm
- $500 buys a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff to make sure the kids are staying healthy!
- $750 pays for the anesthesia a child needs for one of his or her surgeries.
- $1,000 pays for a vial of Erbitux, a drug used in chemotherapy for a child’s head, neck, and colorectal cancer.
- $1,500 provides half a days’ stay at the hospital for routine surgery and about a third of the cost for a day’s stay in the NICU.
- $2,000 provides a NICU crib for tired and weak, 1lb babies fighting with their doctors and nurses to survive.