WOHS Month of Caring
Every year I am blown away by the amount of generosity and compassion displayed by the student body and community during our Month of Caring. This year was definitely no exception as many records were broken. Here are some highlights from our Month of Caring:
- WO Renaissance students collected goods for military soldiers home and abroad as part of the Soldiers’ Angels program.
- WO CTEE/NHS stuffed two buses with over 5,000 pounds of food for the Community Action House.
- WO Student Senate organized the Holiday Toy Drive. Presents were collected in first hour classes, and wrapped by student volunteers. This year more than 200 children from the district received a box of gifts thanks to the Holiday Toy Drive.
- Senior Survivor raised a record $30,000 this year as WOBN and Student Senate planned and executed the annual competition to raise money for the internal charity WINWO.
- WO Links hosted a night during Survivor week in which Links paired with Survivors competed against each other and raised money for WINWO.
First Semester almost complete
It is hard to believe, but we are nearly half way through the 2018-19 school year. With our upcoming exams, the end of first semester is near. Please take a moment to discuss the importance of exams with your students. The exam is worth 20% of the semester grade. Students should avoid waiting until the last minute to “cram” for their exams. It is best to start reviewing material regularly in the weeks leading up the exam week. Here is the schedule for exams:
- January 16 – 1st & 2nd Hour exams
- January 17 – 3rd & 5th Hour exams
- January 18 – 4th & 6th Hour exams
2019-20 Course Selection
The WOHS Counseling Department has begun meeting with current 11th grade students and will meet with all 8th-10th grade students in Jan/Feb to complete course selections for the 2019-20 school year. Here is an outline of the process. WOHS offers more advanced course work and electives than surrounding schools. Please encourage your student to take advantage of the opportunities available at WOHS. It is critical that students look through the course offerings and take the course selection process seriously. The master schedule is built based on course selections.
Thank you, and as always Go WO!